Moving Out

As an LGBT young person you may be in even more of a hurry to leave home, perhaps because:

  • you fear coming out whilst living at home.
  • your parents or family won’t accept your sexual orientation.
  • you are being forced into heterosexual marriage.
  • you feel out of place or are being bullied in the area you live in.

However, don’t be in too much of a hurry. Try to make sure you have somewhere to go before you move out, and don’t rush to move in with a partner just to get away from home as it is very strenuous on the relationship. Choosing University further away from family home might be a great option to start living independently while gaining valuable education.

Been kicked out?

If you’re over 16 and your parents or carers want you out of the house, you’ll probably have to go. If this happens, try to arrange a place to go before you leave, and make sure you take a few essential items with you. If you are under 16 you will be under care of social services and most possibly placed in foster care.

How can I find suitable accommodation?

If you’re leaving home for the first time, you may consider sharing a flat or house with other LGBT people. You can find LGBT friendly adverts here: http://www.gumtree.com/gay-lesbian-flatshare  or here:  http://www.outlet.co.uk/

If you believe that the council, a housing association or a private landlord has discriminated against you because you are LGB or T, you may be able to take action against them. Contact our legal team for advice on the matter.

What if I have nowhere to stay?

If you find yourself with nowhere to stay, call Shelter’s free housing advice helpline on 0808 800 4444. Shelter can’t provide you with a place to stay, but an adviser should be able to help you find a place in a hostel or refuge near you.

You might consider applying for specific supported housing with LGBT charities. Those are www.stonewallhousing.org and www.akt.org.uk. Please be mindful that places are very limited and you should also address your local council.

Can the council help me?

If you have to leave your home because your parents have thrown you out or because you are scared of violence, abuse or harassment, you can get help from your local council. You don’t have to be sleeping on the street to get help. If you are staying with a friend or in a hostel, you are still legally homeless.

Please remember that if you are 18 years of age or over there are no guarantees and council as well as housing charities are under no obligation to offer you accommodation unless specific problems like domestic violence or harassment occurred. To put it simply no council will offer you a flat just because you want to live on your own.

What help can the council give me?

The council will look into your situation to see what kind of help it should offer you. This may, but does not have to be:

  • help to find a new place to live.
  • hostel placement.
  • an offer of a permanent home.
  • semi-independent accommodation.

Sadly the journey to your own place is a very lengthy and a twisted one. There are no guarantees so please use this guide as an information of what could be offered, it will be however very unlikely that you will get a place of your own.

What are my rights?


Councils, housing associations and landlords cannot discriminate against you because of your sexual orientation or gender identity. If you think this is happening, you may be able to take action. Contact us for more advice.


…nor should your landlord or anyone else in your neighbourhood harass you or make your life miserable because you are gay. Harassment is a criminal offence, and you can report your landlord to the police if this happens. You may not need to go into the police station to do this. You can find out more about your housing rights if you contact us.

Support and Advice

If you contact us, we can refer you to a variety of organisation like Albert Kennedy Trust or Stonewall Housing where you can get advice about housing and benefits.

Resource: www.shelter.org.uk